Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Intimate Conversation Poem: Dear Father

I wrote this poem a while ago, when my dad got mad at me for saying something to my brother.

Clarification on the comparisons: "his silver tongue" means he's tricky with words. "Made it crystal clear" as in made it clear as a crystal. "Falsehood will drip from your lips" means what he says is a lie. Those are the metaphors I used. They aren't quite metaphors, but I think they work.



Dear Father,

I meant it when I said it
See, I'd never tell a lie
A dislike strong or intense
You're just too hard-hearted - pitiless
Maybe that's why you don't get it when I cry

There's just something about that boy
The way he teases me
It's like a physical blow
I hate it, but I can't stop smiling

It's just something I do
I don't really mean to
Just another involuntary action
But he uses my sinking smile like it's
His cue

There's nothing I wouldn't do
To get away from him these days
So stay away from me
Until you can see through that dark haze

I'm not afraid of him, no
Only his silver tongue I fear
He can turn anyone against me
Without a single care
It's unbelievable

It's hard enough as it is
Every day is painful
For me, this house isn't worth living in as long as he's here
I hope I've made it crystal clear

You might think I'm better than this
I know I am
And if you ever apologize (I know you won't; you never do)
Don't assume I'll accept
'Cause falsehood will drip from your lips

You'll do it again
Yell, shout, throw a hissy fit
I have more tears to cry
And yet you still won't get it

2 comments:

Miss Ellie Whit**** said...

aww cassie this was a really good poem but really sad!! i really like your blog and if you ever wanna talk we can [=

cya girl friend!

Meaghan said...

what she said! i loved your poem, but it was really sad.=(