Monday, May 11, 2009

Westward Expansion Project Reflection



Did you stand up straight but stay relaxed?
I think that I stood up straight in this video. It was hard to tell because of the hood on my jacket, but I know that when I was doing my presentation I made an effort to stand up straight. As for the 'relaxed' part, I felt like I knew what I was doing and took comfort and confidence from that. I think that should count as relaxed.

Did you pause for a moment before you began your speech?
When Mr. Berguist said, "Whenever you're ready," I paused for about five seconds before I began on the actual day of the presentation. This video was cut a little bit after he said that, so it seems like a little bit of a shorter amount of time.

Did you look at your audience?
I looked at the whole class. Occasionally, though, I looked back at my slides because my eyes weren't good enough to see the words on the computer screen from where I was standing.

Did you let your facial expressions naturally reflect what you were saying?
I can't really see my facial expressions in this video. The camera was a little too far away, but I believe I used facial expressions that 'naturally reflected' what I was saying.

Did you use your hands?
I used my hands a lot. I even mimicked the jaws on a foot-hold trap snapping shut....

Did you speak loudly enough so that everyone could hear you?
Judging by the volume that came out on the video, I would think that everyone could here me. The camera was way at the back of the room for my presentation and it picked it up. I also know that I project my voice when I'm doing some kind of presentation.

Did you change your tone to show how you felt (upset, excited) about an idea or to emphasize a point?
Well, at one point when I was talking about the beavers getting trapped, I sounded sad. I also think I sounded... bewildered (not sure if that's the right word) when I was talking about surgeries and amputations without painkillers.

Was your speed of delivery too fast, too slow or just right?
I think that I sounded just right most of the time. However, there were times when I had to say 'um.' I also paused for a little too long in some places, and the silence sounded like I was trying to drag something out of my memory.

Did you practice your speech at home before giving it?
I practiced my speech once at home before giving it. My mom wanted to hear it at about 10:00 PM the night before. She reminded me of some things, like confirming the 'I think's into facts. I also ran everything through my head before class started a couple of times.

What did you notice that you did well in your speech?
I noticed that I used my hands well and that I used them a lot. I thought about how much I'd been using them during the actual presentation, and thought that I might be using them a little too much. In the video, though, the hand motions were pretty precise and well-placed.

Describe one aspect of public speaking you will work to improve?
One aspect of public speaking I would like to improve is the 'um's and pauses. I can't stand it when I can here the gears in my head working in those long moments of silence.


No comments: